If you’re living with high levels of stress, you’re putting your entire well-being at risk. Stress can destabilize and weaken you physically, emotionally and mentally. It narrows your ability to think clearly, function effectively, and enjoy life. It may seem like there’s nothing you can do about stress, everything just keeps piling up and there is seemingly no solution. But the truth is, you have a lot more control than you might think.
Effective stress management helps you break the hold stress has on your life, so you can be happier, healthier, and more productive. The ultimate goal is a balanced life, with time for work, relationships, relaxation, and fun—and the resilience to hold up under pressure and meet challenges head on.
Here are 10 helpful ways you can manage stress;
1. Keep a positive attitude.
2. Accept that there are events that you cannot control.
3. Eat healthy, well-balanced meals.
4. Learn to manage your time more effectively.
5. Set limits appropriately and learn to say no to requests that would create excessive stress in your life.
6. Make time for hobbies, interests, and relaxation.
7. Get enough rest and sleep. Your body needs time to recover from stressful events.
8. Don’t rely on alcohol, drugs, or compulsive behaviors to reduce stress.
9. Seek out social support. Spend enough time with those you enjoy.
10. Seek treatment with a psychologist or other mental health professional trained in stress management or biofeedback techniques to learn healthy ways of dealing with the stress in your life.