Did you know that LinkedIn, the professional social networking platform, has actually been around longer than Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram? But it’s more relevant now than ever.
Why? Because it hosts more than 600 million professional profiles, which means nearly an unlimited supply of network connections and job opportunities. From seeking a new job to maintaining your personal brand, LinkedIn is an important part of being a full-fledged professional in any industry these days.
LinkedIn is one social network that people don’t take so seriously, maybe because they don’t understand it, or they feel it’s not for them. But if you wish to be taken seriously as a professional or to be seen as a professional in your field, then you need to be on LinkedIn, and your profile has to be professional.
1. Recruiters (and hiring managers) use LinkedIn to discover talent: Your profile has a higher chance of attracting a recruiter’s attention if it is professional.
2. Hiring managers and recruiters are on LinkedIn: Whether you think LinkedIn is interesting or not, the truth is, that’s where the recruiters and hiring managers are, and they see you. So having an incomplete or shabby profile will not make them want to hire you.
3. Your LinkedIn Profile Builds Trust and Credibility: A professional profile makes you more trustworthy and gives you more credibility. People will always check your LinkedIn profile, especially people you meet in a professional capacity, as such your profile needs to be professional if you want them to trust you.
4. It can help rank your name on Google: When people search your name on Google, your LinkedIn profile will come up. I’m sure you don’t want to be seen as unserious by having a profile that is unprofessional popping up on Google.
5. You can build your brand: You can build a strong professional brand on LinkedIn, that is why you should have a strong presence there, starting with your profile.
6. Gives Both Your Business and Your Team Visibility: It’s not just your business that needs online visibility and authority. Your company can also benefit from having individuals in your organization build their personal brand and stand out online. An active LinkedIn profile can help them do that.
7. Supports a Strong Search Strategy: When you, your business, and your team members have complete LinkedIn profiles that use keywords related to your industry, people can more easily find your company through LinkedIn search. LinkedIn users can search for keywords or topics and see a list of individuals and businesses that match their search criteria.
8. Get Leads Through Your LinkedIn Profile: You can attract clients through your LinkedIn profile, but they can only trust you when you have a profile that is worth the trust.
9. Offers Opportunities for Republishing Content: You have options to publish your own articles on LinkedIn and this gives you higher chances of being found, when people search for anything related to your field.
10. Network. Network. Network: LinkedIn is a great place to network with professionals and businesses in different fields. You can connect with people from different parts of the world and build great relationships with them that can be of benefit to you and your business.