Personal development is a key component for anyone who desires to be better and to achieve great things in life. Without personal development, you will always be stuck in one place without even knowing it.
As important as personal development is, many people still neglect it or go about it the wrong way, thereby not achieving any result.
For your personal development to be highly effective, here are some laws that are of absolute importance, and that you ought to follow;
1) The Law of Intentionality: Growth Doesn’t Just Happen. You have to be intentional about your growth, afterall, in the long run, you’re the one who will reap all the benefits. Be intentional about your growth, about the changes you want to see in your live, about which areas of your life you want to start working on first, and then begin to take action.
2) The Law of Awareness: You Must Know Yourself to Grow Yourself. Self awareness is key in your journey of personal development. If you don’t know who you are, then there is every tendency that you don’t know who you want to be. So find yourself and take time to know you.
3) Law of the Mirror: This law is all about self-image, how do you see yourself? An important question to ask yourself is, do you like the person you see in the mirror? You have to start recognizing the value in you and begin to add value to yourself. When you invest in yourself, you feel much better about yourself.
4) Law of Pain: You have to learn to view pain from a positive perspective. Ever heard of the saying “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” well that is true here. Pain can always be a learning opportunity for you, if you decide to see it that way. Stop viewing pain from a negative standpoint, and let that pain work for you.
5) Law of Tradeoffs: Need to give up some things you value to grow up. There are definitely changes you will have to make if you want to achieve great things in life. You have to let go of habits or lifestyle choices that are not conducive for where you’re going. When you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to make changes you’ve never done. Change is not easy but it can always be done – if we cannot change the situation, we can change ourselves.
6) The Law of Consistency: Motivation Gets You Going, Discipline Keeps You Growing. Be consistent. Don’t start on the journey of personal development and then drop it after one week, be consistent; in the choices you make, in the actions you take, in everything you do, let them be things that are leading you to the direction of who you want to be become.
These laws were culled from the book ’15 Invaluable Laws of Growth’ by John Maxwell.
Was this helpful?